Today i had the wonderful pleasure of trying to figure out how to send an email from a email distribution group (active directory group).
The distribution group is ‘Support (email@example.com)’ which recieved all support emails. The user wanted to send & reply to emails from the support email address.
I had actually tried to send from this distribution group in outlook – using the From field and boom it worked – too bad it never worked for the other users (turns out i’m an exchange admin and can do whatever i want).
So the user got this error:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Sent: 27/05/2009 2:25 PM
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
Ibrahim Sukari on 27/05/2009 2:25 PM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
After literally 1 hour of searching, i managed to figure out that in the Active Directory MMC view (below), there is an option call ‘Advanced Features’ which apparently gives you the security options needed on a distribution group.
Steps needed to enable user to send an email from a distribution group:
- Enable ‘Advance Features’ view from the MMC console – Click on View > Advanced Features
- Find the distribution group in question, go to properties > security tab > add the user wanting to send the email > give the user permission to send AS or give full control.
- Enable the ‘From’ field in outlook (i am using Outlook 2007) – Click on the ‘options’ menu > click on ‘Show From’
- Click on ‘From’ – then choose the distribution group (mine is Support)
- Send the email – check the other email account.
That’s It for now, any comments and suggestions are welcome.